Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Year's Day Traditions

In my Italian family, New Year's Day was a day to relax and when friends and family would stop over to visit at any time. My mom always had a big pot of lentil and escarole soup on the stove, and friends never left on an empty stomach.  It's an easy soup to make, delivers a punch of meatless protein, and pairs well with crusty bread, salad, and an icy glass of prosecco.  Here is the recipe I use.

Lentil and Escarole Soup 

Ingredients:
 1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups diced tomatoes, canned or fresh
2-1/4 cups lentils, dried
8 cups chicken stock
1 head escarole, chopped
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrots in olive oil about 10 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.  Add tomatoes, bring to simmer, and cook 10 minutes to reduce the liquid.  Add

the lentils and stock and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to low and cook,uncovered, 30 minutes.  Add the escarole, salt and pepper to taste, and cook until lentils are tender, 35-45 minutes.  Serve with grated parmesan cheese.  Buon Appetito!

--teri


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Teri!!! I will share pictures of our traditional dishes tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great recipe, Teri. Lentils are a great symbol for the new year (maybe because look like coins). I'm either making Red Lentil Soup or your yummy recipe for tomorrow. Traditionally, my family has made roast pork for the new year, but unless I visit Elena, there's no roast pork for my new year's day meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While running this morning I smelled a ton of porks already roasting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to make a traditional Lentil Soup. It is filling my apartment with yummy fragrances--can't wait to dig in.

    ReplyDelete